A dream to reach out to the less privileged sections of the society with quality, affordable education. His Eminence named this school after the great Apostle of Jharkhand, Servant of God, Fr. Constant Lievens, a missionary who came to India in 1883 from Belgium. He was consumed by the fire of God’s love. His motto ‘Fire must burn’ made him work for the development of the people, freeing them from all oppressive forces especially the clutches of the land lords. He understood the need of education to the tribals’ of Jharkhand which would help them to enter into the mainstream of the society with dignity. This vision of Fr. Constant Lievens was envisaged when His Eminence inaugurated the school on May 1st 1999. Fr.Thomas Powathil as the Founder Director and the Sisters of the Apostolic Carmel, known for their dedicated service to the youth took up this venture.
The school began with 50 students enrolled at Patratoli, Lohardaga, about 75 K.M from Ranchi.. Fr. Anthony Bruno the Parish Priest accommodated the infant school in the make shift class rooms in the campus. Soon this initial step took giant strides with dedicated staff and enthusiastic students and parents. The few class rooms no longer met their needs. An urgent need for a large spacious school building was felt. A piece of land was bought at Kutmu on the Kisko Road and despite difficulties and problems, soon a three storied tall and beautiful building came up with all modern amenities .
Nov. 8th 2005 was a red-letter day in the annals of Lievens Academy. It was on this day that the school was formally blessed and dedicated. His Eminence Cardinal Telesphore P. Toppo, the Archbishop of Ranchi Catholic Archdiocese and President of the School blessed the School Building and his Excellency Syed Sibtey Rezi, the Governor of Jharkhand Dedicated the School to the people of Lohardaga.
The School is affiliated to the Council for Indian school Certificate Examinations, New Delhi.
In 2014 the Congregation of Jesus of the Patna Province joined Lievens Academy to facilitate the management of the Girls’ Hostel.
On 21st December 2016, His eminence Cardinal Telesphore P. Toppo, Archbishop of Ranchi, blessed the newly constructed Pre-primary Block.
The School which began as a tiny plant has grown into a big tree sheltering more than 1400 students and reaching out to the neighbourhood imparting quality education catering to the all round development of the students.
Apart from Academics, co-curricular activities are held enabling the students to express themselves freely and forthrightly. The students are encouraged to take part in various competitions both national and international level. Together with discipline, we inculcate in the children values and prepare them to be mature, good citizens of the nation.